A Call for Art - Garrett County Sesquicentennial Celebration Competition
Last Updated on May 31, 2022 at 11:10am | Garrett County Economic Development
The Garrett County Arts Council (GCAC) is pleased to announce a Call for Art: Garrett County Sesquicentennial Celebration Competition!
Help GCAC and the Garrett County Sesquicentennial Committee commemorate 150 years in Garrett County and our rich county heritage.
Artists are invited to create a 2-dimensional piece of art to showcase our beautiful area as it was “then” (in 1872) and “now” (in 2022). Dimensions of the piece should not exceed 42” in any direction. Artwork must be able to lay flat and hang on a wall, in addition to being reproducible.
All submissions will be displayed at the County’s Sesquicentennial event at the Garrett County Fairgrounds on September 17, 2022.
One submission will be chosen by an independent review panel of local, regional and state arts professionals as the competition winner, receiving an $800 prize in exchange for all rights to the image. The original piece will join the County’s permanent collection. The winner’s work will be made into commemorative prints, which will be available for purchase at The Gallery Shop, with sales benefitting the arts across Garrett County.
- Participating artist must be a full-time Garrett County resident, and can be any age and skill level.
- Artwork submitted must be created by an individual. (Collaborative pieces, company or collective-created work will not be accepted.)
- Artwork must have been created within the last two years (since January 2020).
- Artwork must be able to lay flat and hang on a wall (properly wired, framed, gallery wrap canvas, quilt with a sleeve, etc.). If you have questions, contact email@example.com for clarification.
- Artwork must be reproducible.
- Artist must own all of the imagery used in the creation of the piece.
- Artwork must not contain corporate logos, religious and/or political imagery or statements.
There is no fee for entry for the first artwork submission. Additional entries are $5 each to submit with a maximum of 3 additional entries. (Artist may submit a total of 4 entries.) Payment must be made at time of submission.
Artwork submission(s) must be dropped off between August 22-August 29, 2022 from 11am-4pm at the Garrett County Arts Council’s $MART ART Shared Workspace, adjacent to The Gallery Shop at 108 S. Second Street, Oakland, MD. Please note: GCAC is closed on Sundays.